Monday, March 7, 2011

ego/pride

so we had some drama on the mats last night. there is this cat who goes 90 to nothin on every roll, and last night he literally picked a guy up and over his head and slammed him on the mat, rampage jackson style back in pride. then i got to roll with him and when he took my back he crossed his feet and i proceded to ankle lock him. I did explain to all of them not to cross their feet by the way. well he proceded to yell and cuss me out in front of the whole gym. he is now banned from training. I fully explained to all these guys that there is no ego allowed on the mats and that I am the instructor not to mention the senior NCO. I am reminded that this sport is not for everyone. Not everyone has a temperment for our sport. I am also reminded that its not easy being an instructor. I am blessed to have had tremendous coaches at Gracie South who have patience and a willingness to go above and beyond. This was not the first incident with this young man, he outweighs everyone and has a huge ego. Pride and Ego on the mats will get you broken or put to sleep. I learned along time ago that the more I tap the more I learn. That you will hinder your progress with these two very human traits. To have pride in your school, friends, and instructors is one thing but to be unwilling to learn is a horse of a different color.

1 comment: